The Danger Behind Molds

Mold under sinkMold Damage.

If you find mold growing under a sink in your home, how do you know if it is harmful and what should you do about it?

The only way to tell what kind of mold is growing under your sink and how harmful it could be, is to have a physical sample or air test taken.   These will be sent to a lab and you will receive a detailed analysis of the sample.  This will tell you how much and what kind of mold is present, but it won’t tell you if the mold is harmful to you.

Some molds are inherently dangerous as they attach themselves to all living things and start the process of decomposition, that’s what molds do.  There is generally no good way to determine if a mold is specifically harmful to you without seeing your doctor and having a series of tests taken.  Most molds cause respiratory problems of some sort.  These can vary from simple runny noses (irritation to the nasal membranes) to extreme difficulty in breathing (irritation to the throat and lungs).  If you have symptoms of respiratory distress or sudden and severe headaches after you have been exposed to mold and you can rule out any other factors, you probably are sensitive to the mold under your sink.

The first thing you can do to keep the mold away from you is to seal off the area where the mold is.  Close doors leading into

the room with the mold and seal off pass throughs or holes in the wall.  The next thing to do is to call Dry Express Restoration – a professional mold remediation company.  Our technicians are trained to evaluate a situation and safely and cleanly remove and dispose of molds, mildew, fungus and other undesirable substances.

When you hire Dry Express Restoration, our services include all of the following:

  • Containment of the work area with a plastic barrier such as a six mil
  • Use of HEPA filters – High Efficiency Particulate Air
  • Containment using negative air containment – air that is clean is drawn from the outside into the containment, pressed against the HEPA cleaning devise, malicious contaminants removed, and exhausted outside the containment
  • Dry the wet areas properly
  • The contaminated areas and material disinfected properly and sealed in bags
  • Dispose of contaminated materials properly
  • The structural materials disinfected properly

A clearance air test is always recommended at the completion of a job to certify that the air has been cleaned of all mold spores and to leave your home safe and clean.

 

Call us today! 619.597.2003

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *