When it rains in San Diego County we received many calls for rain / flood damage to properties. Examples include:
1. Roof leaks
2. Water intrusion through faulty stucco
3. Water flooding through doorways
4. Leaky windows
5. Flooding in crawlspaces and basements
If you are a homeowner or business owner and foresee a strong rain, there are several things you can do to guard against flooding into your structure:
1. Roofs: Have you roof checked for leaks by a licensed roofer. If there is a leak, make the repair or temporarily guard against water by tarping the affected roof area.
2. Stucco, doors, windows: Have a licensed contractor experienced in stucco installs, door installs, and window installs check the leakiness of areas of concern. They can run a “mach” rain by using a hose to spray areas outside of concern. The windows, doors, and areas of concern inside can then be checked for leaks using visual inspection and moisture meters and / or remove areas of drywall / plaster to inspect more closely. Ensure if something becomes we inside that your contractor is prepared to dry out those areas with airmover(s) and /or dehumidifier(s) and be able to temporarily guard against future water intrusion using a patch and / or plastic tarping.
3. Doorways: If your property is prone to water being directed to doorways or others areas where water could enter, you can use sandbags to keep the water out while the strong storm occurs. We see a lot of these issues in San Diego County since we have strong storms only a few times a year. Therefore, most people are not prepared for them.
4. Crawlspaces & Basements: Have the drainage around your property inspected by a general contractor and / or landscaper specializing in drainage and waterproofing of foundations. Many older homes in San Diego County do not have a proper drainage system and / or have an older system that is clogged or not sized correctly for the strong rains. French drains, trenches with pea gravel, waterproofing of concrete masonry unit (CMU) walls or concrete walls, and installation of sump pumps area all ways to keep water out of your crawlspace or basement.
Potential issues with water intrusion of the above if not taken care of correctly are as follows:
1. Inside the home: Water intrusion into a home will cause mold damage if not taken care of quickly. Drying out the structure quickly, correctly and fully is paramount to ensure mold damage does not occur.
2. Inside a crawlspace / basement: Water left in these areas will increase the humidity in the area. This humidity will make for an excellent area for mold growth. Growth of mold in a crawlspace will eventually expand to further damage within the home or contaminate the air that the occupants live in.
At Dry Express Restoration we specialize in water, fire, mold, and trauma remediation. We cover all of San Diego County including but not limited to Oceanside, Carlsbad, Vista, San Marcos, Escondido, Encinitas, Del Mar, Solana Beach, Rancho Santa Fe, Poway, Alpine, Lakeside, Santee, El Cajon, La Mesa, San Diego, Coronado, National City, Lemon Grove, Spring Valley, Rancho San Diego, Chula Vista, Imperial Beach and all areas in-between.
We have specialized processes that minimize construction needs and therefore reduce the cost of the process.
1. Drywall: If a customer has wet drywall we can dry it in-place, eliminating the need to replace the drywall.
2. Hardwood Floors: Ror real hardwood floors we have extraction mats that will suck the water through the cracks, eliminating the need to replace the floors.
3. Carpeting: When carpet and pad is wet we an extraction rover that will remove water through both, eliminating the need to replace pad or carpet.
4. Cabinets: We also have a process for drying cabinets in-place as opposed to removing and replacing them; when the interiors need to be removed we have a process to save the faces and counter-tops, eliminating the need to replace all cabinets (faces are reset with rebuilt boxes on-place).
We also coordinate construction associated with these type of claims if customers desire.
We take care to understand the unique needs and concerns of each customer from the beginning and tailor our service to ensure their comfort. We talk customers through the steps associated with the work before starting. All customers are updated daily. We minimize time needed from start to finish with our specialized processes.
Call us today! 619.597.2003 when you have a water, fire, mold or trauma remediation need. We are available 24 / 7 for emergency services and cover all of San Diego County, being on-site within 1 – 2 hours from when we are reached. Thank you.